I am absolutely OBSESSED with this recipe. I don't eat a ton of meat anymore but eating high quality fish here and there feels good for me personally. I wanted to make a vegan version of this ceviche as well for all my vegan friends out there. And honestly, It's Just as good.
-1 pound high quality Cod (I get this at Whole Foods) OR two 14oz cans hearts of palm (chopped)
-1 cup (for fish) OR 1/2 cup (for hearts of palm) Freshly squeezed lime juice.
-1/4 cup coconut cream (from the can) (This is what makes this recipe extra bomb)
-1/2 red onion (thinly sliced)
- Jalapeño (thinly sliced)
-1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
-1 large avocado (chopped)
- Jalapeño olive oil to taste
-Salt to taste
1. Whisk together lime juice and coconut cream until thoroughly combined. Make sure there are no chunks. You can always run these through a blender to combine with less effort. You can make this without the coconut cream but I promise it's worth the extra step! You will use half as much lime juice with the hearts of palm because they don't need to be cooked.
2. Combine all ingredients (besides the jalapeño oil) and stir together until everything is fully coated in the lime juice mixture. Always taste the jalapeño before you throw it in and use your best judgment on how much spice you want to add.
3. Garnish with a drizzle of jalapeño oil. I got mine at my local farmers market and it really adds such a nice flavor to this dish. You should be able to get this at any grocery store.
4. For the fish Ceviche allow the mixture to sit for at least 1 hour. This allows the acidity in the lime juice to cook the fish enough to be safely consumed. For the hearts of palm Ceviche you can dig in immediately!
5. Enjoy with your favorite tortilla chips or as is!
My boyfriend is from Chile where they eat Ceviche on buttered toast. I though he was weird until I tried it. Now I can never go back to eating it with anything else. We toast up some of our favorite sourdough from the local farmers mark and slather that baby up with butter or a plant based butter alternative. THIS IS A GAME CHANGER. Try it. I double dog dare you.